Jumbos Edged by College of Staten Island in 17th Annual Tournament of Heroes Championship

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Three different Jumbos scored 20 plus points, but it wasn't enough as the Tufts men's basketball team was edged by College of Staten Island, 98-94, in the 17th Annual Tournament of Heroes championship game on Saturday afternoon. 

Luke Rogers helped with 24 points and six rebounds Saturday

The loss moves the Jumbos record to 5-6 this year.  College of Staten Island improves to 6-6 with the win. 

The Dolphins outscored the Jumbos 10-2 during the first four minutes of play.  Trailing by eight the Jumbos got a layup and then a free throw from sophomore Brennan Morris and then a layup from junior captain Eric Savage to come within three. The Dolphins answered with a layup of their own and would lead by about five for the next five minutes.  Down 22-15, Savage turned in two free throws and then a layup and then a three from freshman Carson Cohen tied things at 22 with 11:27 to go in the half. 

The Jumbos took a lead of their own and were able to grow that lead a bit.  Ahead 28-25, Cohen made two free throws and then classmate Tyler Aronson added two of his own to increase the Jumbo lead to seven with 7:46 left in the half.  The Dolphins answered with a layup from Adeola Latunji and a three from Nicholas Tyler.  Then a three from Austin Mick gave the Dolphins a one-point lead, 33-32, with 6:51 left in the half. The two teams traded baskets, and the hosts took a 50-47 lead into the break. 

Tufts came out of the half ready to go and layups from sophomore Luke Rogers and Aronson gave the Jumbos a 51-50 lead less than a minute into the second half. Aronson added a free throw and after a Dolphin free throw the Jumbos got another layup from Aronson and then another from Rogers and the free throw after gave the Jumbos a 57-51 lead just a few minutes into play. 

The home team got right back in it and tied things at 63 about six minutes into the half.  They were able to take a small lead and held on to that for the next ten minutes.  A layup from Rogers tied things at 81 with 5:36 left in the game. The two teams traded baskets and the lead, and with the Jumbos ahead, 87-86, the Dolphins got a three from Andrew Kartalis and followed that with a jumper from Stephen Flagg to take a four-point lead with 3:05 left.

Trailing 96-91 with 44 seconds remaining in the game sophomore Justin Kouyoumdjian attempted a three but was fouled.  He made all three free throws to bring the Jumbos within two, 96-94.  On their next possession the Dolphins missed a jumper and Aronson grabbed the defensive rebound for the Jumbos to give them a chance to tie the game. But, a steal by Riguad Destime gave the Dolphins the ball back and the Jumbos fouled.  Latunji made both free throws to give the hosts the 98-94 lead and win. 

Rogers finished with 24 points and six rebounds to lead the Jumbos.  Morris added 22 points and Savage finished with 21 points and six rebounds. Aronson added ten points and five assists and Cohen finished with nine points and five assists off the bench for the Jumbos.  

Latunji was the offensive leader for the Dolphins finishing with 24 points.  Nicholas Taylor added 22 points and ten rebounds and Flagg turned in 21 points and five assists.  

The Jumbos are back in action on January 2 when they host Nichols for a 7 pm start. The Dolphins play again on January 3 when they host York for a 7:30 pm tip off.