Men's Hockey Falls to Trinity in Season Opener Friday Night

MALDEN – The No. 7 Trinity men's hockey team scored in two of three periods on Friday night, picking up a 3-0 win over Tufts in the Jumbos season-opener at the Valley Forum.  

Drew Hotte collected a career-high 37 saves on Friday night

With the loss the Jumbos are 0-1 this season.  It was also the first game of the year for the Bantams, who are 1-0 after the win.  

Trinity got on the board first, scoring 5:06 into the first period.  Jumbo junior Anthony Farinacci was sent to the box for boarding, and the Bantams capitalized on the power play opportunity.  A shot by Trinity's James Callahan was saved by Jumbo goalie Drew Hotte, but in the commotion in front of the net Andy Chugg was able to sneak it past Hotte to put the Bantams on the board.  Assists were dished out to Timothy Weinstein and James Callahan.

The Jumbos best opportunity to score the equalizer came about seven minutes later when Tyler Scroggins unleashed a one-timer that Bantam goalie Teddy Loughborough was just able to save.  The Bantams outshot the Jumbos in the first period 14-7, but Tufts won the faceoff battle 14-10.  

A strong defensive effort by the Jumbos in the second period kept the Bantams scoreless in the frame.  Trinity outshot the Jumbos 16-5, but Hotte was a wall in the net and kept the Jumbos in it.  Just under six minutes into the period the Jumbos got their first power play opportunity of the game, and while they were able to possess the puck for most of it, they only managed two shots.  

With just over five minutes left the Jumbos got another opportunity with a one-timer from freshman Angus Scott, but Loughborough once again made a great save to keep the Jumbos off the board.  The two teams went into the second break with the Bantams ahead 1-0.  

The visitors got an insurance goal just over two minutes into the third period.  Off a faceoff in the Jumbo zone the Bantams won the faceoff and Nicholas Fiorentino fired off a shot immediately that sailed into the top left corner of the net.  Mark Knowlton won the faceoff for Trinity and picked up the assist on the goal. 

Just over three minutes later the Bantams added another as Barclay Gammill snuck the puck up and behind Hotte, and it bounced off his left shoulder and just over the line to give the Bantams a 3-0 advantage.  

About seven minutes into the third period the Bantams went on their second power play of the game when Tufts' Justin Brandt was sent to the box for holding.  But, a strong defensive effort from the Jumbos kept the Bantams to just one shot during the power play.  

With just under six minutes remaining in the period the Jumbos had a power play of their own after the Bantam's Michael Grande was called for interference.  The Jumbos got off five shots, two of those on goal, but they weren't able to get on the board.  Trinity held on for the 3-0 win.  

The Bantams outshot the Jumbos, 40-20 in the contest.  Trinity collected two penalties and they were 1-for-2 on power play opportunities.  The Jumbos were also called for two penalties, but were not able to convert on either of their man-up chances.  Hotte collected a career-high 37 saves for the Jumbos, while his Bantam counterpart, Loughborough finished with 20 saves.  

Tufts is back in action on Saturday afternoon when they host Wesleyan for a 4 pm start.  Trinity travels to Conneticut College for a 3 pm start with the Camels on Saturday.